Leica's V-LUX 40 Digital Camera takes the most popular features in pocket cameras and makes a Leica out of them. This sophisticated pocket camera has an expansive 14.1MP resolution with a newly re-designed CMOS sensor, a 24-480mm (equivalent in full-frame format) 20x ultra zoom lens, and full 1920 x 1080 HD video.
The V-LUX 40 can be operated as easily as the simplest point and shoot camera, or it can be precisely controlled by the photographer--like a Leica. Starting with a true wide-angle 24mm at the wide end of the zoom, you can move out into wildlife photographer territory with an extremely long 480mm telephoto. In addition, 3D photographs can be produced with the V-LUX 40.
As a travel camera, the V-LUX 40 is unsurpassed: a compact, lightweight form factor, superb still and video images at virtually any focal length, image stabilization and up to 3200 ISO sensitivity for clear photos every time, built-in GPS and detailed maps on an included DVD--this a camera that will capture the memories for you. The upgraded autofocus speed (0.1 second) will make sure you don't miss a shot waiting for the camera to respond.
Like all things Leica, this camera's design follows the principles of form and function. The camera is also ergonomically crafted - allowing for ease of use, a much appreciated aspect when on vacation or at a party. The controls of the camera are positioned in an easily accessible manner, with the mode dial on the camera's top plate for fast and simple switching between various modes and manual operation. The video release button is on the top of the camera as well for quicker access than on previous version of this camera. Of course, the 40's most user-friendly usage option might be the touchscreen display which allows for intuitive menu navigation, capture, and review.
The V-LUX 40 comes with Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and Adobe Premiere Elements 10--user-friendly software options that provide a range of functions for the user in post-production. Premiere Elements 10 is used for editing video footage while Photoshop Elements 10 provides the user with a number of useful photo editing tools.
- Leica DC-Vario Elmar Lens
- The high-quality of this zoom lens enables the use of an enormous range of equivalent focal lengths from 24 to 480mm for both still and movie capture. For macro photography, extremely wide-angle views or zooming in on distant subjects - the V-LUX 40 captures amazingly sharp images across the entire wide-angle to telephoto range
When shooting with longer focal lengths (telephoto) or in poor light, optical image stabilization effectively prevents blurred and shaky pictures. Flexible use of the sensor format guarantees full accommodation of the entire zoom range in any aspect ratio, whether set for 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, or 1:1.
- Simple, Intuitive Handling
- The ergonomically positioned and logically arranged control elements of the Leica V-LUX 40 ensure intuitive handling of the camera even by less-experienced photographers. A wide range of automated functions ensures simple, straightforward operation in any situation. At the same time, manual setting options for apertures and shutter speeds provide greater creative scope for more-demanding users. The mode selection dial on the camera's top plate allows fast and simple switching between the various automatic modes and manual operation. For enhanced user-friendliness, the V-LUX 40 features a touchscreen panel
- Enhanced Versatility
- The new burst shooting feature and 3D capability make the Lecia V-LUX 40 even more versatile. The burst shooting speed at full resolution of 14.1MP is an impressive 10 pictures/second while the high-speed mode can even offer 60 pictures/second at a resolution of 3.5MP. Thus, the Leica V-LUX 40 records fast-moving subjects perfectly - ideal for fascinating pictures from the worlds of sport and animals.
The 3D feature guarantees spellbinding photos, as well. The camera combines two selected photos from a series, creates a 'stereo picture pair' and saves this as a 3D photo in MPO format. These pictures are compatible with all 3D screens available on the market
- Touchscreen Monitor
- The innovative touchscreen display offers a smooth and comfortable touch control. In addition to the usual button controls, various functions can be controlled by a fingertip. The touchscreen operation does not only work for shooting, but also for playback. Images can be enlarged and dragged across the screen with a finger to browse the collection of images just like turning the pages of a book. The 460,800 dots and the automatic brightness control provide particularly detailed images on the 3.0" LCD touch display
- HD Video Recording
- 1920 x 1080p AVCHD movies are recorded in AVCHD HD format and tagged with GPS data. HD movie recording starts with the touch of a button on top of the camera. The intelligent, automatic system of the V-LUX 40 integrates all the essential functions such as face recognition, automatic scene mode selection and smart exposure for still and movie capture. It is possible to zoom while shooting movies across the entire 20x zoom range. The Internet-friendly MP4 storage format is also available.
- GPS - Global Positioning System
- This innovative feature records the geographical coordinates of the location and local time of every picture you shoot and stores this information in the EXIF data of the image files. This feature provides a variety of exciting options and benefits. When travelling with the V-LUX 40, it displays all the sights in the immediate neighborhood. In fact, it has access to a total of one million points of interest. In addition, the GPS feature is also very useful when archiving pictures and each picture can reveal exactly where it was shot on world maps published on social networks, image portals and map services like Google Maps or Google Earth. The time setting will be automatically registered via the GPS information. An included DVD supplies detailed maps.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10
- The V-LUX 40 is supplied with a comprehensive suite of software. Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 provides users with a comprehensive and versatile image editing solution. The software offers a wide range of features as viewing, organization, administration and processing options for still images and video recordings. Also included is Adobe Premiere Elements 10, an easy-to-use package offering video processing for movies recorded by the V-LUX 40 in AVCHD format, and also enables the creation of professional audio and video effects. After completing the video, it can be prepared for presentation on the Web, DVD or other media with only a few mouse clicks.
- Scene Modes
- Portrait, Soft Skin, Scenery, Panorama Shot, Sports, Night Portrait, Night Scenery, Handheld Night Shot, HDR, Food, Baby 1, Baby 2, Pet, Sunset, High Sens., Glass Through, High Speed Video
- Focusing Modes
- The following focusing modes are available: Normal/macro
- Exposure Compensation
- Increments: 1/3 EV steps, setting range +/-2 EV
- Still Photo Resolutions
- 16:9 format: 4320 x 2432, 3648 x 2056, 3072 x1728, 2560 x 1440, 1920 x 1080, 640 x 360
3:2 format: 4320 x 2880, 3648 x 2432, 3072 x2048, 2560 x 1712, 2048 x 1360, 640 x 424
4:3 format: 4320 x 3240, 3648 x 2736, 3072 x2304, 2560 x 1920, 2048 x 1536, 640 x 480
1:1 format: 3232 x 3232, 2736 x 2736, 2304 x2304, 1920 x 1920, 1536 x 1536, 480 x 480
3D Photo Function:
16:9 format: 1920 x 1080 (MPO format)