The Canon Legria HF G10 Flash Memory PAL Camcorder brings professional capabilities to those who seek to do more while staying within the means of a consumer budget. It shoots 1920 x 1080 high definition video and with a native 25p frame rate option, you can give your footage a truly cinematic look. Using Cinema-Looks Filters you boost that film look with nine built-in adjustable filters. Some choices include Cinema Standard, Dramatic B&W, Nostalgic, Old Movie, and Sepia. You can also shoot video that's optimized for the Internet with the 30p Progressive mode.
The Canon 1/3" HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor boasts excellent low light performance and a wide dynamic range, giving you flexibility unseen in most consumer camcorders. Working with the sensor to create each shot is Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor. The image processor reduces noise, corrects color for life-like reproduction, and also powers a number of proprietary Canon features like Smart Auto and the Cinema-Look Filters. The HF G10 is also equipped with a generous 3.5" touch panel LCD display, a color viewfinder, optical image stabilization, and a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens. The lens boasts an 8 blade iris, and a 4.25-42.5mm focal length(30.4-305 35mm equivalent). Other important basics include 10x optical zoom, a 58mm filter diameter, and a number of terminals. Connections include USB 2.0, Component and Composite outputs, a mini HDMI, as well as headphone and microphone jacks.
The HF G10 features excellent audio as well. You can record audio via the built-in microphone and headphone jacks that you can monitor with manual audio level controls. If you're looking to capture 5.1 Channel Surround Sound the HF G10 lets you do that as well using the optional SM-V1 microphone from Canon. The camera does feature a built-in stereo microphone as well, which affords directional adjustments, as well as frequency adjustments. The HF G10 also packs in a number of shooting functions. Among the functions usually found on consumer models, the HF G10 also comes outfitted with custom key and dial, composition aids, and advanced control like manual exposure, aperture priority, and shutter priority. There's also face detection, Instant AF and Advanced Video Snapshot. It comes packaged with Canon's Pixela Video Browser Software and is compatible with Windows XP (SP2 and SP3), Vista, and Windows 7. This software helps you to edit and share all your video in post production.
- Flash Memory
- The HF G10 allows you to record up to 12 hours of clear high definition video to a 32GB internal flash drive or to two SDXC-compatible memory card slots. With Relay Recording, the camcorder automatically switches video recording from the internal drive to the SD memory cards when the memory becomes full. No need then to worry about running out of recording time during a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime shot. With SDXC memory card compatibility, you'll have card storage capacity from more than 32GB up to 2TB and ultra-fast data transfer speeds.
You'll also have the flexibility of copying video from your HF G10's internal drive to the removable SD or SDXC memory cards. That makes it easy to insert the card into your computer or HDTV's card reader and view your recorded footage immediately.
Double Slot Recording allows you to record to two SD cards simultaneously, so you can have an automatic safety backup as you shoot.
The advantages of flash memory go beyond the added recording time. You'll also appreciate the quick response time, because there are no moving parts in the recording process. Press the record button and your HF G10 starts recording video faster than you've ever seen before. In addition, when you review, you'll have quick access to your footage
- Low Power Consumption
- Another benefit of flash memory is the HF G10's low power consumption rate, allowing your battery to last longer. It's just what you need so you don't miss that pivotal play on the field or the moment when they say "I do"
- While we certainly hope you keep your HF G10 securely in your hand while shooting, if it happens to slip, or you accidentally knock it against something, you'll be happy to know that flash memory makes your camcorder more shock-resistant than other recording storage systems. It also minimizes the chance of data loss if you accidently jolt or drop your camcorder
- Canon HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor
- Incorporating a technology proven in Canon's professional level camcorders, HD CMOS Pro is a 1/3" 2.07MP image sensor which delivers outstanding video resolution, superb low-light performance and a wide dynamic range. Unlike image sensors found in competitive consumer camcorders, HD CMOS Pro uses fewer pixels, which are significantly larger (61 percent) and more sensitive, resulting in optimized video performance
- Outstanding Video Resolution
- Since the effective number of pixels of HD CMOS Pro is equal to 1920 x 1080 (2.07MP), resizing is eliminated, allowing Full HD video to be captured and recorded with professional precision (800 vertical and 900 horizontal TV lines)
- Superb Low-Light Performance (1.5 lux)
- Because each individual pixel is larger and more sensitive, each is capable of capturing more light, allowing high quality video to be achieved even in dimly lit conditions
- Wide Dynamic Range
- A larger pixel area also allows more light to be stored, resulting in 280% improvement in dynamic range for exceptional reproduction of both highlights and shadows. Skin tones are captured in a finer gradation, and stable gamma and Auto Exposure control is also achieved resulting in a more 'lifelike' image.
- Stunning Image Quality
- The HF G10 features a Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens which offers a 35mm equivalent of 30.4mm - 304mm. It delivers unsurpassed image quality, the versatility of a wide angle of view and smooth and professional looking background images thanks to a sophisticated 8-blade iris. The professional touch of a dedicated manual focus ring allows accurate and precise control. Combined with Canon's Exclusive HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor, it captures video with stunning resolution, superb low-light performance, and a wide dynamic range
- Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- Canon's DIGIC DV III image processor provides stunningly realistic color and sophisticated noise reduction for exceptional low-light performance. It is also the high-speed engine that powers a variety of Canon technologies including Smart Auto, Touch & Track, Genuine Canon Face Detection, and Cinema-Look Filters
- 24Mbps Recording
- You will also find that exceptionally lifelike tone and detail are captured thanks to 24Mbps Recording, which offers the highest bit rate in AVCHD. The HF G10 not only captures images in Full HD, but records and outputs at 1920 x 1080 as well, so you get HD from lens to screen
- Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with Powered IS
- The HF G10 features Canon's proprietary Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization which provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted shaking which is common when walking. Together with the latest development, Powered IS, you'll find an even higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. Powered IS can be engaged by pressing or holding the Powered IS button on the Touch Panel LCD
- Instant AF
- A critical objective when shooting in high definition is achieving the sharpest focus possible. The HF G10 camcorder features Canon's revolutionary Instant AF focusing system which offers a dramatic improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy, compared to traditional auto focus systems. The Instant AF feature uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus, even in low light conditions. This system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus "hunting." This is especially beneficial in high brightness or night shooting situations. In addition, with Instant AF it's possible to capture fast, accurate focusing even when following a moving subject.
For those situations in which the super quick action of Instant AF might not be desirable, you also have the option of Medium AF, which is softer and smoother than Instant AF, but faster than would be possible with manual focusing
- 3.5" Touch Panel LCD Screen
- You will see extraordinary detail with this large, stunning 922,000 dot screen which also provides approximately 100% coverage of your shooting scene. It delivers brilliant color combined with touch panel control for faster and easier menu navigation. You'll also have Touch & Track, which allows you to get precise focus and exposure on any subject - whether it's people, pets, or vehicles, by selecting your choice right on the Touch Panel LCD.
You'll also be able to use the Touch Panel for Touch Decoration. This feature lets you superimpose select decorations onto the images on your LCD and then records the images complete with the additions. You may add animation effects, hand written and stamp messages or insert a still image to give your video a truly individual look
- Color Viewfinder
- For your convenience, the HF G10 is also equipped with a 0.24" (0.61 cm), 260,000 dot color viewfinder which provides approximately 100% coverage, for use in shooting when very bright outdoor light conditions may make it difficult to see the LCD display
- Smart Auto
- Smart Auto makes shooting great video easier than ever before. Using the power of Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor, the HF G10 intelligently detects and analyzes faces, brightness, color, distance, and movement, then automatically selects the best settings for the scene. Whether you are capturing a sunset, a day at the beach, or a fast-paced soccer game, Smart Auto delivers exceptional accuracy, raising your video to the next level
- Tele Macro
- Among the 38 scenes available in Smart Auto, a standout is Tele Macro. Tele Macro automatically zooms the lens of the camcorder to the telephoto end, setting the minimum object distance to approximately 1.3 feet (from 3.3 feet). This gives you the opportunity to shoot spectacular close-ups with the dramatic look of a shallow depth of field
- Touch & Track
- Touch and Track delivers precise tracking of the focus and exposure on any subject - people, pets, vehicles and more. Simply select your point of interest on the Touch Panel LCD, and you will have your subject in sharp focus, regardless of where in the frame it moves during the shot - and, the exposure will be perfectly adjusted for subject and conditions. Touch & Track is the default setting. You can also choose to adjust focus or exposure independently by turning off Touch & Track, and turning on Touch Focus or Touch Exposure.
Touch Focus allows the user to pinpoint a specific area to focus on. This function is similar to the Push AF feature found in professional camcorders, but can target a subject anywhere in the frame.
Touch Exposure enables exposure to be locked or compensated for the area touched by the user
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
- The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is available in the HF G10 high definition camcorder. Up to 35 faces can be tracked automatically, ensuring razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure. Of the faces tracked, 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time
The system is in fact so smart that it will recognize faces turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature can be used to search for clips featuring that specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. The selected face can be linked as a timeline to further identify footage containing that subject.
With the Face Only AF option, the camcorder will automatically track a chosen face. However, should that face leave the scene, it will reset focus to manual mode
- Professional Shooting Assist Functions
- To provide an exceptional level of control over the components of the video you shoot with the HF G10, you will find a range of shooting assist functions normally only available to professional videographers
- Custom Key and Dial
- A Custom Key and Dial feature allows you to assign functions to an easily, accessible key and adjust the settings with a control dial. They include: Tv/Av: Use the dial to adjust shutter speed (Tv mode) or aperture (Av mode), as needed. In this mode the key has no effect. Manual exposure: When manual control is selected, the dial can adjust aperture, shutter speed, or gain. Select items to adjust, such as aperture or other settings, with the key. Exposure Lock can be set on or off as can the AGC Limit
- Focus and Exposure Aids
- To further enhance focusing capability the HF G10 also features Focus Assist. It includes enlargement, which helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording. This is a feature normally found in professional broadcast-quality cameras. Also included is color peaking, which shows the shooting object's focused areas in actual colors. With Canon's Edge Monitor Focus Assist system, a red and green monitor is shown at the bottom of the LCD Display and three red focus check areas are shown across the display. The green waveform shows overall focus of the image, while the red waveform shows the focus status of the focus check boxes. Through this dynamic focus feedback, you can intuitively tune focus in a scene and quickly change the zone of focus.
Typically only found on expensive external units, the VIXIA HF G10 has a waveform monitor built right into the camera. The waveform monitor shows a detailed view of overall image brightness.
Enhanced zebra pattern (70% or 100%) indicates 'blown out' or high brightness areas to help you set the proper exposure
- Composition Aids
- With the Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep your camcorder level for more professional looking shooting. Line up any horizontal lines in your shot - such as the horizon - to the marker and you can be sure your camcorder is level.
The Grid Marker helps you compose your shot accurately, by referencing a grid in your viewfinder. Depending on the background color of your shot, you can choose between two different colors for better viewing contrast
- Advanced Control
- The HF G10 features full manual exposure, as well as aperture priority (AV), and shutter priority (TV) modes.
Either color bars or color bars and test tone can be selected and recorded using a menu. The color bars comply with the SMPTE standard. -12 dB, -18 dB or -20 dB can be selected as the test tone.
The white balance control has 6 available presets settable through a variety of day and artificial light conditions (Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent H, Fluorescent), as well two manual white balance settings. Color temperature may also be manually set from 2000K to 15,000K in 100K increments for more precise adjustment.
Gain may be manually set from 0dB to 24dB in 1dB increments. Additionally, Auto Gain Control Limit allows you to set the maximum gain limit for the image sensor's sensitivity. With this function, brightness and noise can be balanced as required, and image quality can be maximized in low light situations.
The zoom speed as controlled by the rocker and handle controls is selectable, with a choice of variable or 16 fixed speeds, with fast/normal/slow settings for greater control while zooming in various situations
- Advanced Video Snapshot
- Advanced Video Snapshot allows you to capture the highlights of a once-in-a-lifetime trip or a family milestone with the same ease as taking photos. Simply record a series of short video clips - or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create an exciting movie that will grab everyone's attention. This version of Advanced Video Snapshot allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the Snapshot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source
- Easy Web Sharing
- HD-to-SD Downconversion allows you to convert recorded high definition video to standard definition files while safely preserving the original HD video. These standard definition files make it even more convenient to edit or share video online. The video can be transferred to your computer via traditional methods - i.e. USB connection, card slot - or wirelessly to sharing sites with an Eye-Fi SD memory card.
The HF G10 is compatible with the Eye-Fi SD Memory Card. It's possible to wirelessly transfer your video and photos to your computer, or upload them directly to online sharing sites in a few simple steps. Insert an Eye-Fi SD Memory Card into the SD card slot on the camcorder, configure your computer to select the target site (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Shutterfly, Flickr) and you're ready to share your standard definition files with family, friends, and the world! 1
- Frame Modes
- The HF G10 boasts a host of shooting modes which give you creative options rare in a consumer camcorder. These four offer a range of opportunities to give your video a truly cinematic look and feel.
Native 25p Mode, a feature generally found only on Canon's professional camcorders, allows 25 frames per second to be captured and recorded (instead of the standard 60i) - a must for serious filmmaking work.
25p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 25p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the VIXIA HF G10's Cine setting, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together or independently.
You would normally have to look to professional video cameras in order to have a sophisticated tool like 30p Progressive Mode at your command. In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HF G10 to capture video in 30p, (30 progressive frames, recorded at 60i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. Excellent for action and sports shots, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording
- Cinema-Look Filters
- Other cinematic looks can be had through the use of Cinema-Look Filters. This feature offers a choice of nine varied built-in adjustable filters which give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. The looks can be previewed in the LCD display while shooting. Choose from:
The brightness of each filter can be adjusted low, medium or high, for even greater control.
- Cinema Standard: Tones down highlights slightly, boosts shadows slightly and adds warmth for a cinematic look
- Cool: Adds a bluish tint for cool, futuristic-looking scenes
- Dramatic B/W: Creates bold B/W movies with high contrast and grain
- Dream: Adds a magical look (soft focus) for dream-like scenes
- Memory: Adds a faded, misty look to create flashback scenes
- Nostalgic: Recreates the look of old '70s TV programs
- Old Movie: Gives movies the aged look of old cinema
- Sepia: Uses a sepia tint for an antique, faded look
- Vivid: Accentuates primary colors for a bright, cheerful look
When Cinema Standard is selected, color depth, softening, and contrast can also be adjusted
- To maximize the usefulness and versatility of the HF G10, you'll find a range of terminals to extend the capabilities of your camcorder. A supplied HDMI cable offers easy, one-cable connectivity to your HDTV. The HDMI terminal also supports CEC and x.v.Color. The camcorder converts 1080i in which the video was shot into HDTV format 1080p through the HDMI Terminal.
The Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe allows you to attach optional Canon accessories, such as the VL-5 Video Light, DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone or SM-V1 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone.
The built-in microphone terminal with manual audio level control and headphone terminal provide exceptional audio flexibility.
A built-in remote control terminal (compatible with LANC protocol) provides an easy connection to both Canon and third party wired remote controllers
- The HF G10 offers an enhanced internal microphone to capture high-quality audio. The microphone's direction can be adjusted four different ways to match your needs and taste. Choose from:
- Monaural: Single point direction
- Normal (stereo)
- Wide: Provides a more enhanced, separated stereo effect than normal
- Synced with Zoom: Directionality is adjusted to match the zoom position
In addition, the frequency response characteristics of the microphone can be adjusted between low, mid-range and high frequencies
- Normal: Provides a balance throughout all frequencies
- Low-range emphasis: Excellent for recording live music with impact
- Attenuate low frequencies: Reduces ambient noise and the sound of traffic outdoors, such as wind, cars and the like
- Mid-range emphasis: Ideal for capturing people's voices
- Low and high range emphasis: Record live music with balanced lows and highs
The Automatic Attenuator feature prevents high volume distortion and optimizes audio quality in situations when sound levels quickly change, such as when loud music plays in the background. It automatically keeps the audio clean and even.
The built-in microphone terminal with manual audio level control and the headphone terminal provide exceptional audio flexibility.
Canon's new optional WM-V1 Wireless Microphone allows you to record high-quality audio without wires from up to 164 feet away (50m), ideal for ceremonies and recitals.
For the ultimate home theater experience, 5.1 channel surround sound allows you to capture audio quality that matches the stunning realism of your high definition video. The sound is captured from all directions (five different pickup sensors) so your home movies will look and sound more lifelike than ever before
Optional SM-V1 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone is required
- Story Creator
- Story Creator assists you in the process of creating an organized and sophisticated video. Choose one of five different themes - Travel, Kids & Pets, Party, Ceremony, and Blog - and the camcorder provides a list of suggested scenes to shoot. After capturing your video, Story Creator helps you categorize and rate your scenes, making it easy to review, select and playback your favorites
- Optional WD-H58W Wide Converter
- The optional Canon WD-H58W Wide Converter is optically matched for the HF G10's HD lens. It provides a magnification factor of 0.8x, increasing wide angle capability to approximately 24mm (35mm equivalent)
- Intelligent Lithium-Ion Battery
- Intelligent Lithium-Ion Battery accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute, so you won't run out of power when you need it most
- Pixela Video Browser Software
- Pixela Video Browser Software is bundled with the HF G10. You can easily perform a variety of functions, including AVCHD Editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. This software also allows you to play your AVCHD movies on your computer and will let you share copies of your movie with friends and family through flash memory to hard drive copying. Transfer and store your movie onto your computer's hard drive with the software and easily convert your high definition video to standard definition video as well. Pixela Video Browser will also assist you in converting video to the optimum resolution for transmission over the Internet.
The bundled application is compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 2 and 3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7
- 27 Language Support
- Support for 27 languages is available, including Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Hungarian, Malay, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Finnish, Swedish, Turkish, Russian, Ukrainian, Arabic, Farsi, Thai, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Korean, and Japanese