16MP Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
A 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds Digital Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor work together to produce high resolution imagery that exhibits a great deal of clarity, detail, and overall impressive image quality. The processing power affords heightened sensitivity to ISO 25600 with minimal noise for enhanced use in low-light conditions. The Venus Engine also provides a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to record up 5 fps in full resolution, 40 fps using an electronic shutter, and continuous shooting at 4.3 fps with full-time AF.
Full HD Video Recording
The 16MP Micro Four Thirds sensor also supports full HD 1080p video recording in both 60 and 24 fps at a maximum bit rate of 24 Mbps. Both the high quality AVCHD and the Internet-friendly MP4 formats can be used depending on the intended output and editing workflow used and stereo sound is recorded with videos using a built-in microphone. Full-time continuous AF and tracking AF modes can be used during recording and exposure settings can be manually adjusted using either shutter speed or aperture controls. Touch AF and Touch AE controls also prove to be effective means for modifying the focus and exposure settings while recording video and focus peaking is ideal when working with manual focus.
Tilting EVF and Monitor Design
To better aid in live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation, both a tilting electronic viewfinder and rear LCD monitor are integrated into the design of the GX7. The EVF, or LVF (Live View Finder), features a 2,764k-dot resolution and approx. 100% color reproduction using the field sequential system for clear visibility in all conditions. It has a 90В° upward tilting mechanism that permits easier viewing from low working angles. Additionally, Eye Sensor AF can be used to automatically begin auto focusing as soon as the viewfinder detects use, which greatly benefits working in a more spontaneous manner.
A large 3.0" 1,040k-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for viewing and features a tilting design that permits the monitor to be tilted 45В° upward or 80В° downward for working from both high and low angles. The front panel of the monitor is attached directly to the In Cell Touch LCD without a gap between in order to reduce surface reflections and improve visibility of the screen in bright conditions. The touch functionality of the monitor also enhances efficiency by allowing for a more natural method of adjusting camera settings and navigating throughout the menu structure. Combining use of both the viewfinder and the touchscreen is Touch Pad, which allows you to use the EVF for monitoring along with the touch control functions of the rear LCD.
In-Camera Image Stabilization
MEGA O.I.S. in-camera image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working with lenses that do not incorporate image stabilization. This added benefit enables sharp low-light shooting with any lens and is especially useful for handheld shooting with longer, telephoto lenses.
An array of focusing technologies are available to help ensure sharp focus when working in all shooting modes with any type of subject matter. Light Speed AF, a contrast-detection AF system, is used to intelligently and accurately determine critical focus in quick and efficient manner. The speed of this system is ideal for photographing and tracking fast-moving subjects in a variety of lighting conditions. Low Light AF is also available to help determine critical focus in dimly-lit (-4 EV) conditions without the need of an AF assist lamp.
If working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to provide a more objective means for determining exacting focus based on highlighting edges of contrast within the scene. Pin-Point AF allows for live view images to be magnified from 3-10x during shooting for homing in on tight details and One-Shot AF allows focus to be acquired quickly and automatically with manual focusing abilities available for greater focus refinement and creative control. Full-area focus makes use of the intuitive touchscreen design and allows you to tap anywhere within the frame to set focus and AFF mode acquires autofocus as normal and then can reset focus if the determined target moves.
Built-In Wireless Connectivity
Wireless connectivity is integrated into the GX7 to enable remote transferring and control of the camera from mobile devices when using the Panasonic Image App. Zoom and focus can be controlled through the app as well as remote releasing of the shutter. Images can be sent directly to mobile devices for instant sharing online and NFC (Near Field Communication) technology allows for a simplified method of connecting the camera to the mobile device.
The camera body is constructed from die-cast magnesium alloy to provide rigidity and durability while still remaining light in weight. It features a contoured rubberized grip for greater stability and the tilting design of the EVF and LCD monitor facilitates more natural handheld shooting positions. Both a pop-up flash and a hot shoe are also integrated into the camera's design as well as front and rear manual control dials for intuitive adjustment of crucial camera settings.
Other Camera Features
- Silent Mode switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic operation and disables all sounds and AF assist lamps for greater inconspicuousness while shooting.
- A top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. aids in capturing fast-moving subjects and working with wider apertures in bright conditions.
- Time Lapse Shot automatically records sequential images over a set period of time, which can then be automatically combined in order to produce a time lapse video.
- Stop Motion Animation permits the creation of stop motion videos by automatically sequencing frames into a video file without needing to use an editing program.
- Highlight Shadow control allows adjustment of the highlight and shadow details when working in live view by using the front and rear dials; three preset patterns are available and three custom profiles can be created.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) automatically composites several images of varying exposures in order to gain greater highlight and shadow details and an extensive middle range of tones.
- Touch AE allows you to select the point within the image where an exposure metering is taken; ideal for backlit subjects or high contrast scenes.
- A Level Gauge can be used to help ensure level horizons and plumb verticals. The gauge will automatically switch orientation when shooting in the vertical format.
- Monochrome Filter mode works to simulate the effects of black and white color contrast filters, such as yellow, orange, red, and green filters, to enhance the appearance of monochromatic images in-camera.
- Creative Control mode facilitates the creation of creatively enhanced imagery by providing 22 different filter effects. These filter settings can be adjusted manually as wellВ to suit individual images.
- Creative Panorama mode automatically stitches together multiple images in order to realize one wide-spanning horizontal or vertical image.
- Multi Exposure mode allows up to four distinct exposures to be made and layered within a single frame for unique, creative effects.
- Clear Retouch makes it possible to remove unwanted objects, figures, or other aspects of an image by simply tracing over them on the touchscreen monitor.
- A supersonic wave filter protects the sensor from dust and is able to vibrate approximately 80,000 times per second in order to effectively repel dust and other particles.
- Language support: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified), Dutch, Thai, Korean, Turkish, Portuguese, Arabic, Persian, Japanese, Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Vietnamese